So, after a search on google last week I found the website http://www.actorexpo.co.uk/ the only trade show for actors in the UK.
A trade expo for actors?
Having been to a few trade exhibitions in the past, I kind of know how they work, loads of exhibitors vying for your business, offering their services and advice and a few seminars which are always overcrowded and talk about how social media can transform your business (whatever that may be). They are also very tiring on your feet. So why should this one be any different and just how would it work for actors?
- Well for a start, it's only a one day event so I don't need to be off work for a few days.
- It's on a Saturday so actually, I don't need to take any time off at all.
- It's realtively cheap to attend - £3.40 for spotlight and equity members or £5.40 for non members (I say relatively becasue that doesn't involve classes or travel)
- It provides an opportunity to mix with professionals and other actors which as I mentioned earlier is a goal of mine.
So where and when is it?
It's on at The Camden Centre, London WC1H 9LZ
11am til 4pm
Saturday 5th November 2011 (Bonfire Night)
Making the most of the day
If I am to go I've found the best way to deal with trade expo's is to go with a plan. Just haphazardly walking around and spending time queuing for seminars to find you can't get in or that you're right at the back is, for me, a wasted opportunity I could be using elsewhere taking to someone beneficial. So to get the most out of the day I would need to:
- Arrange return train travel, or possibly stay over on one of the nights if it's cheaper.
- Ensure I wore comfortable shoes.
- Pre book the classes I'm interested in.
- Find which exhibitors I really want to speak to and plan out where they are and when to see them.
- Make time for a break and to network.
I've just watched the video filmed at the last expo and I have made my mind up. I'm going.
I've now
Booked train tickets via the trainline (down on Saturday, return Sunday)
Booked a bed in the Smart Russell Square Hostel via laterooms (£14.99 and just round the corner)
Booked my ticket for the event itself
Pre booked my classes
Out of the classes available, I've chosen the three which I feel I'm most interested in and would be the most beneficial at this stage in my journey. They are:
Casting for TV and Film. Room 3. 11.45 - 12.30
Business Skills for Actors. Room 1. 13.50 - 14.30
Acting for Film and Television. Room 2. 15.15 - 15.55
This spread of classes should give me enough time between to visit some of the exhibitors and get some lunch.
I'm now committed to going so I need to find a photographer and get some headshots taken and design my business cards and resume for handing out.
Then it's good old London Town on bonfire night, bring on the fireworks.
I'm so excited, hope to see you there.
Chris (the geordie actor)
Oh, if you want to connect with me before then, I'm now on twitter, so you can tweet me, follow me or whatever you do on it to get in touch. My twitter name is www.twitter.com/thegeordieactor
And in case you want to see the video that convinced me, here it is:



0 comments:
Post a Comment